At Temple Emanu-El, our Adult Education program offers members access to a wide variety of stimulating programs and challenging lectures. Most of the programs are free and open to the public and are sponsored by community grants and generous donations from temple members. So please join us and energize your mind!
Here is a look at the programs we offer:
- Monthly Speakers - Local scholars present on a variety of Jewish topics. Recent topics have included Sephardic Culture, Sex in the Bible, and Jewish genealogy.
- Film Series - Our most popular program! We have a state-of-the art projector, speakers, and giant screen to view a broad spectrum of films of Jewish interest, including everything from popular dramas to award-winning documentaries, from classic favorites to just-released Israeli films. And the ticket price includes popcorn and cookies!
- Scholar-in-Residence - Each year we fly in a pre-eminent scholar or author for a weekend of stimulating insight. Generous funding allows us to attract the very best! Recent scholars have included Dr. Gary Zola, Director of the American Jewish Archives; Rabbi David Saperstein, Director of the Religious Action Center in Washington, D.C.; and Dr. Sol Gittleman, longtime Provost of Tufts University. On January 27, 2017 we will have the pleasure of hosting Dr. Steven Windmueller, Dean of the Los Angeles campus of Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion.
- Classes with the Rabbis - Rabbi Glickman and Rabbi Shefrin bring a wealth of knowledge, keen insight, and delightful humor to this annual discussion series. Recent topics have included Jewish Values Regarding Stem-Cell Research, Short Stories of the Great Yiddish Writers, and The Exploration of the Jewish Bookcase.
- Shabbat Torah Study - This fall kicks off a monthly discussion of the Torah portion as part of our new Shabbat morning initiative. Please contact the office for upcoming dates.
- Adult Hebrew Classes - On Sunday mornings we offer both beginner and intermediate classes. Beginning Hebrew introduces the Hebrew letters and words, as many of the participants prepare to become bnai mitzvah as a class. The intermediate group focuses on the meaning of the prayers and modern, spoken Hebrew.
- Family Education - Our Adult Sunday School program offers Religious School parents a chance to study while their kids are in school. Recent topics have included Making Shabbat at Home, Jewish Values in Parenting, and challah making.